The village of Las Minas is located on the left bank of the River Segura, near its confluence with the River World. It received its name because of the birth of sulfur that exists in the area, and apparently it is already exploited in Roman times. The first documentary evidence of these mines is 1569, but it is from the eighteenth century when in full production. In the mid nineteenth century, almost the entire Spanish sulfur, essential for manufacture of the powder, Mine comes from Hellin.
This caused the people to grow significantly. The favorable context of the First World War and the Spanish Civil War contributed to increased production, but depletion of the richest and later competition with French and American sulfur reefs caused its closure in 1960. In 1980 entire village of Las Minas, that was-and still is today- the preserve, was sold for a price of seven and a half million pesetas.
The tour is very interesting and worth a stroll along the nearby, discovering traces of the past. The current configuration has a landscape characterized by huge deposits of slag (Waste material ovens) coming to be real mountains in which only occasionally grow bushy plants. Above them are remains of several sets of cylindrical furnaces, disused mines, old transformers that provided power to propel “malacates” with ascending and descending upon the workers to the mines, remnants of the railway line, etc. At the top we find remains of the buildings facing the public service; from the chapel to prison, through a cinema or a store of provisions.